Pancreatic Pathology Online
Reporting of Distal Pancreatectomy Specimen
Dr Sampurna Roy MD July 2016
Distal Pancreatectomy is usually carried out for endocrine tumours and for exocrine neoplasms that arise in the body and tail of the pancreas.
Some insulinomas are very small and the entire specimen may need to be embedded in order to find the tumour.
The report should comment on :
- The tumour type: endocrine, adenocarcinoma, cystadenocarcinoma, cystadenoma ;
- Perineural and vascular invasion;
- Extrapancreatic structures involved: spleen, lymph nodes;
- Completeness of excision.
For endocrine neoplasms the report should also state the:
- Pattern of growth: trabecular, moire silk, packeted, diffuse;
- Immunostaining characteristics ;
- Appearance of islets away from the tumour : hyperplasia, amyloid deposition.
Copyright © 2016 surgical-pathology.com